A Multi Purpose Venue
The building was constructed as a twin-arched market hall, with a meeting room upstairs. Here, the Lord of the Manor’s Court received taxes and fines from tenant farmers and market traders. Events such as a ventriloquist show in 1839 and its use as a theatre from 1841 indicate that it was enjoyed as an arts and entertainment centre from its inception.
Between 1842 and 1845 it became a chapel used by a missionary from Madagascar, Mr Griffiths. In 1861 a public meeting to discuss the demolition of the Hay Bridge toll gate broke up in pandemonium. From 1895 it operated as a Masonic Hall and later a Catholic Church. The first floor meeting room has now been converted into holiday accommodation.
Poster, January 1841